The Certified Tax Resolution Specialist designation is conferred by the American Society of Tax Problem Solvers (ASTPS) to tax professionals who meet specific criteria.
How to become a Certified Tax Resolution Specialist
- be an Enrolled Agent, CPA or attorney,
- complete a minimum of 16 hours of continuing professional education covering any form of tax problem resolution in the two years prior to applying,
- have one year of professional experience directly or indirectly related to the resolution of tax problems,
- pass the uniform CTRS exam and
- be a member of ASTPS
The 16 hours of CPE must be completed prior to sitting for the CTRS exam. Candidates for certification must also agree to abide by the Bylaws and Code of Professional Ethics of the ASTPS.
American Society of Tax Problem Solver membership
The ASTPS mission is to help members provide taxpayers with competent representation before the Internal Revenue Service and other taxing authorities. They offer two membership levels:
- Standard membership--available to attoneys, CPAs and Enrolled Agents
- Associate membership--available to non-licensed professionals
Both membership levels have the same initiation fee and annual dues, as well as the same benefits except that associate members cannot become certified. ASTPS also offers a free membership trial for 30 days.
Continuing professional education requirements
To maintain their designation, the ASTPS member must complete 16 hours of CPE per year. CPE courses can cover any form of tax problem resolution. Examples of appropriate course subjects include:
- Rules of Practice
- Taxes in Bankruptcy
- Offers In Compromise
- Innocent Spouse Representation
- Handling Non-filer Engagements
- Assessments & Abatements
- Trust Fund Matters
- Statutes of Limitations
Recommended FunCPE courses to meet these CPE requirements are:
- Innocent Spouse Relief (taxation)--5 CPE hours--$20
- Stand Up to the IRS (taxation)--15 CPE hours--$55 (obtain book separately)
- The New Bankruptcy (advisory services)--16 CPE hours--$56 (obtain book separately)
Note that EAs can only take tax courses for EA CPE credit, so the Bankruptcy course would not provide EA CPE credit.
- Many tax courses use free downloadable materials
- You can also order most of the study materials for home delivery with no shipping charges
- No hidden additional sales tax or shipping cost
- All FunCPE exams are available online 24/7 to help you meet your CPE requirements on time
- You can take our free course to see first hand how easy it is to take one of our courses
We welcome Certified Tax Resolution Specialists to our site and would like to serve your needs better. Please contact us with any suggestions for new course topics for CTRS CPE specifically.
You may also want to sign up for email notification of new courses as they are added.