You are here: Home CPE Acceptance All Professionals Accredited Retirement Advisor (ARA)

All professionals

The following professionals can take our CPE courses for credit.

Click on the professional title to view details about specific CPE course requirements.

Accredited Retirement Advisor (ARA)

All FunCPE courses are acceptable for ARA CPE credit. ARAs in every state can receive credit for our courses.

The Accredation Council for Accountancy and Taxation (ACAT) requires that ARAs:

  • must earn 72 CPE credit hours per 3 year cycle to maintain a current and active ARA designation and
  • of the total 72 hours of CPE, there must be at least 24 hours in eldercare issues
    • retirement
    • asset management
    • Social Security
    • Medicare
    • long-term care
    • trusts and estates
  • The remaining 48 CPE hours can be in the general business subjects of:
    • taxation,
    • finance,
    • technology
    • business law
    • accounting or
    • subjects that relate to your particular area of practice of employment
  • plus 4 hours in ethics.

The current CPE cycle is July 1, 2014 to June 30, 2017.

Rules and requirements for ACAT credential holders (Per the ACAT website):

Programs that qualify as CPE

The overriding consideration in determining whether a specific program qualifies as acceptable continuing education is that it be a formal program of learning which contributes directly to the professional competence of an accredited individual. The following are deemed acceptable:

  • Professional or technical development programs of national, state and local professional/trade organizations or
  • Other organized educational programs which meet the following standards.

In order for an educational program to qualify for CPE credit, organizations must:

  • Require attendance.
  • Provide a program of at least one class hour (50-minute period) in length.
  • Provide a qualified instructor or discussion leader.
  • Maintain a record of attendance.
  • Retain a written outline of the course.

Continuing education credit will be given for whole hours only, with a minimum of 50 minutes constituting the class hour.

Can I use self-study and journals for my contact hours?

Independent study that is approved for continuing education credits may be used for 100% of the hours required for certification renewal.

Do CPE programs need to be approved or accredited by a national organization?


I already submit CPE for my CPA (or EA, CFP, etc.) designation. Can I use these for my ACAT credentials?

Yes. As long as you have taken the appropriate number of CPE hours in the specified areas, then you may also submit them to ACAT.

Accordingly, all FunCPE courses qualify for CPE credit. We offer cpe courses in the following subjects:

  • Taxation
  • Accounting and auditing
  • Management
  • Advisory Services

We welcome Accredited Retirement Advisors to our site and would like to serve your needs better. Please contact us with any suggestions for new course topics for Accredited Retirement Advisor CPE specifically. 

Become a smarter, richer accountant

in just 10 minutes when you read

The Thrifty Accountant Newsletter

When we run across something that will help you save money--or make your work easier, we put it in our monthly newsletter.

Sign up now, it's FREE!

Privacy Policy: We will never share your email address. Period. You are free to cancel at any time.

California Tax Education Council (CTEC)

FunCPE does not currently offer CTEC courses to California tax preparers.  We have partnered with our friends at to offer students access to CTEC approved courses.  

California law requires anyone who prepares (or assists with) tax returns for a fee, and is not an attorney, Certified Public Accountant (CPA) or Enrolled Agent (EA), to register as a tax preparer with CTEC.