Employer-sponsored retirement plans constitute one of the important “legs” of the retirement stool that individuals look to for their income in retirement. The other two legs of that stool are personal savings—through investment in securities, deferred annuities, savings accounts, etc.—and Social Security retirement benefits. This course will examine qualified employee plans, their limits and their tax treatment along with a discussion of annuities and their taxation.
In the closing days of 2019, legislation titled “Setting Every Community Up for Retirement Enhancement Act of 2019” (SECURE Act) became law, effective January 1, 2020. The new law’s provisions effects on retirement plans of clients are discussed in detail.
Online Course Materials
This is a fully online materials course that does NOT require the separate purchase of a book.
How will I access the materials?
Once you login to your course, click on the materials link to access the PDF materials and
- Read online
- Download to your computer
- Print out
FunCPE Course #: PWX0621
Materials: Online materials
Format: Interactive self-study
Subject: Federal Tax
Exam questions: Final-25 multiple choice
Document length: 52 pages
Passing score: 70% | Unlimited retakes
Advance prep: None
Course level: Overview
Last reviewed/updated: 01/14/21
Expiration: One year from enrollment
Upon completion of this course, you should be able to:
• Distinguish between the types of qualified employee plans;
• Recognize the limits imposed on qualified employee plan contributions and benefits;
• List the requirements applicable to qualified employee plan loans;
• Apply the federal tax laws to qualified employee plan contributions and distributions;
• Recognize the tax treatment of nonqualified annuity distributions; and
• Identify the tax treatment of annuity contributions and distributions.