You are here: Home CPE Acceptance EA EA 6 Mistakes to avoid #1 Provider not authorized

Mistake # 1: CE provider is not authorized by the IRS

EAs are regulated by the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) on a national basis. In other words EA’s in every state are subject to the same IRS regulations. The IRS requires CPE providers to register annually by December 31st for the following year. IRS CPE providers agree to follow the IRS CPE regulations and to report all valid CPE earned by any PTIN holder to the IRS.

Things to look for:

IRS CE Provider number

Providers are issued an IRS CPE provider number. Additionally, each course is submitted to the IRS and issued an IRS course number. This IRS course number is used for reporting the course completions to the IRS and must be printed on the certificate of completion issued to the student.

IRS Approved CE Provider logo

The IRS provides a logo to approved CPE providers that can be displayed on a website or printed material.  Examples of the logo:

IRS approval of CE provider for EA CE   Approved as an IRS CE provider


IRS listing of approved CE Providers

The IRS maintains an online list of approved CE providers here:


Can't find the provider you are looking for on the IRS listing?

Keep in mind that the CE Provider's website name can be different from the company name.

To avoid bias, the list of approved CE providers is in random order when you first go to this page on the website.

  • You can click on the headings to sort the list in provider order, for example, to find a particular provider.
  • Or you can use control F on your keyboard to bring up a search box, and enter a provider name there.

What about tax preparer state licensing?

The following states require tax preparers to be licensed by the state:

  • California
  • Maryland
  • Oregon
  • New York

Generally, Enrolled Agents, CPAs and Attorneys are exempt from the state specific tax preparer licensing.

Enrolled agent education is subject to IRS regulation on a nationwide basis. Therefore it doesn’t matter what state your CPE provider is located in or whether or not they are approved providers for a specific state.

Read Mistake # 2:
CE courses are not for an approved subject area

6 Mistakes to avoid with EA CE

We want to reduce the stress associated with dealing with a continuing education mistake.  Review the 6 common mistakes that we have seen, so you can avoid these problems.








Still have questions about Enrolled Agent CE?  We have a dedicated staff member who specializes in Enrolled Agent CPE requirements.  Call or email us if you have any questions.

Yes we report your CE hours to the IRS We do report your CE hours earned to the IRS electronically.  We are an approved IRS CPE provider for Enrolled Agents and Tax Preparers.

irs ce provider logo black

Become a smarter, richer accountant

in just 10 minutes when you read

The Thrifty Accountant Newsletter

When we run across something that will help you save money--or make your work easier, we put it in our monthly newsletter.


Sign up now, it's FREE!

Privacy Policy: We will never share your email address. Period. You are free to cancel at any time.

Why EAs take our courses

"I loved the convenience of FunCPE: printing out the study materials and tests, entering the test answers online at my convenience and receiving the e-mailed CPE certificates. I liked being able to work off line and then complete the tests online."
--Louanda Feather, EA (North Canton, OH)

* * *

"Very well organized, the questions were illustrative of the text content and the rules and regulations for which they were pertinent.

I will absolutely be back on your site, I have purchased several more exams, and plan to use them very soon."
--Frank B. Howard, EA (Ukiah, CA).

* * *

"Still the best CPE site . . . and thanks for not charging a fortune Thank you again. . . still the best CPE site . . . and thanks for not charging a fortune. I need 92 CPEs by next year's end, so I will see you again. Great people, communication is intelligent and very respectful and polite. Really appreciate this. Intend to use your company often. Thanks.
--E. M., EA (Salisbury, MD)

Not sure what to do next?

red umbrella

It has been our experience that most CPE credit deficiencies can be resolved by taking the appropriate courses.  Send us a quick email or call with some information about your situation and we will promptly get back with you with our advice on how to proceed

Send an email or call us with the following information, and anything else you want us to know:


1) Last digit of your Social Security number, or if you have no Social Security number

2) When you originially received your EA license--if it's within the last 3 years we need the month and year, otherwise just a ballpark of the year

3) Last renewal date, if you have that information

4) How many CPE hours you have taken so far this period, if any

We can recommend a personalized list of courses for you to take.  You can keep your license active and move on down the road!


Which FunCPE courses quailify for EA CPE?

As per the rules outlined in Treasury Department Circular No. 230, qualifying Enrolled Agent CPE must be in the areas of:

Federal taxation |  Federal tax related matters |  Ethics (2 hours per year)

All FunCPE  tax courses qualify for EA CPE as well as all of our ethics courses.  You can:

Sign up for a tax package which includes ethics:

~ or ~

Select your individual courses:

FunCPE exams are available online 24/7 to help you meet your CPE requirements on time. For the book based courses (under the Tax courses using books category) purchase books separately or borrow from library!