You are here: Home CPE Acceptance EA EA Renewal Process

EA Renewal Dates

What is an "initial enrollment cycle"?

When you first become an enrolled agent, the period up until your first re-enrollment date is considered your "initial enrollment cycle." Review Enrolled Agent initial enrollment cycle requirements here.

What is the "standard enrollment cycle"?

After completing your initial enrollment cycle (i.e. you have completed your first renewal), you will be on the standard 3 year enrollment cycle.

How often does an EA renew their license?

Every 3 years, except the initial enrollment cycle is typically less than 3 years.

When is my renewal date?

Your renewal date is based on the last digit of your social security number. The following chart shows the next series of renewal dates and related CPE reporting periods.

Social Security No. Ends in:


Due Date
of Renewal

Effective Date
of Renewal

CPE Reporting Period

0, 1, 2, 3 12/31/21 01/31/22 04/01/22 2019
4, 5, 6 12/31/19 01/31/20 04/01/20 2017
7, 8, 9 or
no Social Security no.
12/31/20 01/31/21 04/01/21 2018

How do I apply for renewal of my EA enrollment?

In the past, the IRS mailed a Renewal of Enrollment to Practice Before the IRS (Form 8554), however it appears they no longer do this.

Put your renewal date on your calendar

1)  File by mail and pay by check

You can fill out form 8554 online and print the filled out form to mail, along with your check or money order.


2)  File and pay electronically (recommended)

You can fill out the form and pay online by credit card.

When can I renew my EA license?

The IRS EA renewal system is open every year from November 1st to January 31st

The IRS PTIN renewal system opens October 15th for the following year's PTIN

All EAs are required to have a valid PTIN, regardless of whether or not they prepare taxes.  

PTIN is an annual renewal

EA is renewed every 3 years after the initial enrollment period

What is the cost of renewal?

Effective November 1, 2019 the Enrolled Agent renewal fee increases to $67 for the renewal cycle (normally 3 years unless it is your initial enrollment period).

From March 31, 2011 to October 31, 2019 the Enrolled Agent cost of renewal was $30 for the renwal cycle. 

Currently PTINs are free to obtain and renew.

Does FunCPE report the CPE hours earned by each Enrolled Agent to the IRS?

Yes, beginning in mid 2012 CPE sponsors started reporting CPE hours by PTIN to the IRS. You can login to your IRS PTIN account to review CPE hours that have been reported for your PTIN.  The hours will only be displayed for years 2013 and forward, due to 2012 being a partial year.  Review the CE reporting requirements for IRS Approved CE Sponsors here.  

We also retain a record of all of your course completions and we have instructions for how to reprint a CPE certificate here. You can reprint a certificate of completion at any time, even after your course expires.

Will I need to mail in my certificates of completion with my license renewal?

No, you do not include copies of your certificates with your renewal, you simply report the CPE hours earned per year. You should retain copies of your certificates in your files in case you are selected for a random CPE audit.

If you allow your license to lapse and get placed on inactive status, the IRS usually requires you to mail in copies of your certificates along with your renewal form.  When you contact the IRS for specific instructions on how to become active again, they will tell you how to proceed.

The IRS requires you to retain copies of certificates for four years from date of renewal.  This means that some certificates from the beginning of your renewal period could be up to seven years old.

You can always obtain a copy of your certificate by logging into our course system at any time, even after your courses have expired (courses expire after one year in accordance with IRS CPE regulations).

For more details watch the Enrolled Agent Renewal Form 8554 walk through video

Yes we report your CE hours to the IRS We do report your CE hours earned to the IRS electronically.  We are an approved IRS CPE provider for Enrolled Agents and Tax Preparers.

irs ce provider logo black

Become a smarter, richer accountant

in just 10 minutes when you read

The Thrifty Accountant Newsletter

When we run across something that will help you save money--or make your work easier, we put it in our monthly newsletter.


Sign up now, it's FREE!

Privacy Policy: We will never share your email address. Period. You are free to cancel at any time.

Why EAs take our courses

"I loved the convenience of FunCPE: printing out the study materials and tests, entering the test answers online at my convenience and receiving the e-mailed CPE certificates. I liked being able to work off line and then complete the tests online."
--Louanda Feather, EA (North Canton, OH)

* * *

"Very well organized, the questions were illustrative of the text content and the rules and regulations for which they were pertinent.

I will absolutely be back on your site, I have purchased several more exams, and plan to use them very soon."
--Frank B. Howard, EA (Ukiah, CA).

* * *

"Still the best CPE site . . . and thanks for not charging a fortune Thank you again. . . still the best CPE site . . . and thanks for not charging a fortune. I need 92 CPEs by next year's end, so I will see you again. Great people, communication is intelligent and very respectful and polite. Really appreciate this. Intend to use your company often. Thanks.
--E. M., EA (Salisbury, MD)

Which FunCPE courses quailify for EA CPE?

As per the rules outlined in Treasury Department Circular No. 230, qualifying Enrolled Agent CPE must be in the areas of:

Federal taxation |  Federal tax related matters |  Ethics (2 hours per year)

All FunCPE  tax courses qualify for EA CPE as well as all of our ethics courses.  You can:

Sign up for a tax package which includes ethics:

~ or ~

Select your individual courses:

FunCPE exams are available online 24/7 to help you meet your CPE requirements on time. For the book based courses (under the Tax courses using books category) purchase books separately or borrow from library!