Certified Bookkeeper (CB)
Credential issued and maintained by
Continuing education requirements for CBs:
- 60 CPE hours over each three year cycle
The AIPB recommends courses in the following subject areas for CBs to expand their skills, knowledge and value to employers or clients:
- Adjusting entries–accruals and deferrals
- Correction of accounting errors
- Statement of cash flows
- Internal controls and fraud prevention
- Financial statement analysis
- Credit and collections
- Tax preparation for S corporations
- Tax preparation for C corporations
- Tax preparation forSole proprietorships
- Tax preparation for partnerships
Renewal of CB credential
Every three years, based on original date of certification
FunCPE courses in Tax and Accounting are acceptable for Certified Bookkeeper (CB) CPE credit. CBs in every state can receive credit for our courses. ABA CPE credit. CBs in every state can receive credit for our courses, since this is a national credential.
FunCPE courses in the following subject areas are recommended for CPE for CBs:
- Accounting and auditing
We welcome Certified Bookkeepers to our site and would like to serve your needs better.
Please contact us with any suggestions for new course topics for Certified Bookkeeper CPE specifically.
About the Professional Bookkeeper credential
The American Institute of Professional Bookkeepers (aipb.org) was founded in 1987 and has a current membership of 30,000, some of which are Certified Bookkeepers. You do not need to be a CB to be a member of the AIPB. The institute focuses on:
- achieving recognition of bookkeepers as accounting professionals,
- keeping bookkeepers up to date on changes in bookkeeping, accounting and tax,
- answering bookkeepers’ everyday bookkeeping and accounting questions and
- certifying bookkeepers who meet high, national standards.
The AIPB accepts credits earned for classes, updates, seminars and courses in:
- payroll and
- accounting software.
Renewal cost of Certified Bookkeeper credential
The cost of renewal of the CB designation was not disclosed by the representative. The AIPB does not publish renewal cost or CPE requirements on their website, although the CPE requirements are listed in the Certified Bookkeeper Designation Booklet available on their site. In the booklet, they refer to nominal fees for setting up an account and registering CPE credits, but the specific amount of the fees is not disclosed.
Membership in the AIPB is currently $60/year, however this membership fee is separate from the renewal of the CB designation. Students should contact the organization directly to obtain the renewal costs associated with this designation.